Tuesday 12 November 2013

My Adventures in Maintaining Red Hair! Featuring L'Oreal HiColor HiLights in Magenta & RAW Color Hairdye in Flamingo Pink/Fuschia Fatale

I have had my hair this red-colored for any little up to 2 several weeks now, and it is certainly been a learning from mistakes process in maintenance! Previously, I have had jet black, blue black, bleach blonde/orange, light brown, brownish, auburn, burgandy, pink, and deep red-colored hair... but vibrant red-colored was something I had not embarked into before! My love Serenie at super-ser.com gifted me some L'Oreal HiColor HighLights in Green, and her hair looked fabulous, and so i desired to give it a try personally :)

You can purchase this dye at Sally's for ~$5-7.

    For highly-visible, intense red-colored highlights even on dark hair, without brassines

    Breakthrough technology lifts hair 3-4 levels, no pre-amazing needed

    Wealthy, no-drip creme causes it to be simple for charge of creative techniques

    True-to-shade color resistant to diminishing

    Quick processing duration of only half an hour

    Obtainable in three Hi-lift Red-colored shades

NEW HiColor Red-colored HiLights by L'Oreal Excellence may be the first highlighting series developed for dark hair. Wealthy, no-drip creme causes it to be simple for charge of creative techniques . True-to-shade color resistant to diminishing. L'Oreal Excellence HiColor Red-colored HiLights will come in Green, Red-colored, Copper Red-colored and Copper

 With this dye, you mix the whole tube having a cream developer. I made use of Jerome Russell 30 Vol Cream Peroxide. The ratio is 1 part hair color (1.2 oz) to two part Crme Developer (2.4 oz). Essentially include cream developer and blend before the consistency is sort of a thick cake batter.

Affect hair in sections and then leave on for half an hour to build up! I love this dye since it is particularly for dark hair so you don't have to pre-bleach. However already had bleached hair which was dyed an in-depth red-colored which had faded for an auburn shade... so dying over this color made the green SUPER vibrant and vibrant! I have seen youtube videos of individuals doing the work over black/dark hair, and also the color continues to be vibrant, although not as bold imo as doing the work on the "lighter-dark" shade of hair. After half an hour you clean the dye before the water runs obvious. Clean with cold water!!! This dye didn't stain my tub however it did still bleed out color for many days when washing my hair.

I am not large on maintaining colored hair... usually I recieve bored fast therefore if I'd my hair a cool color, I'd just dye back black regarding this if this began to fade. However I really loved the way in which this color arrived on the scene, and so i began attempting to keeping it better! The things i acquired on the way...

Clean hair with cold water!

This isn't something I really did for over a couple of days because I simply cannot stand cold >_< BUT washing your colored hair with cold water does help keep the color because it closes the cuticle and seals in the color better.

Wash your hair as little as possible.
This is also something I have a hard time doing, because I feel like my hair gets oily really fast. So originally I had been washing my hair every day, and that stripped the color wayyy too fast. So the most I can tolerate without washing my hair is every other day without feeling like a greaseball, and this has kept my color for at least 2-3 weeks without fading too significantly. If you can go longer between washes, I'd recommend that! I would also recommend using dry shampoo between washings. I tried one by Tresemme but it was not very good. But I've heard from many people that dry shampoo works wonders for them at keeping their color longer.

Use products for color-treated hair.
I use Redken Color Extend shampoo and conditioner. I got a set from Trade Secret for I think $23. This shampoo works the best for me and has done the best at preserving the color the longest. I had used Warpaint Beauty color-depositing shampoo from Hot Topic because I thought it would help revive the red, but I think it actually did the opposite and stripped the color faster. So I'm not sure if there are other color-depositing shampoos that work good, but I wouldn't recommend that one.

I would also recommend some kind of serum to keep your hair looking healthy. My hair is pretty fried as is, but I can still fake it! I use HANA Shine Shield, which I reviewed here. It's great for adding shine to hair and making it look smooth and silky :)

Don't overuse the L'Oreal Dye.
I had acquired 3 tubes of the L'Oreal HiColor Highlights, and used 1 for the first time to do my entire head. I used 1 more tube -- half the tube at a time -- to touch up my roots and do an overall coloring when my hair needed reviving. I wouldn't keep using the L'Oreal dye though, because it is for dark hair specifically, the more you use it to re-do the red, the more it is actually lightening your hair in the process because of the cream developer in it. It starts to fade faster and the lightness becomes more apparent as it fades.

Do touchups with demi-permanent dye.
I use RAW Color hair dye from Hot Topic. Mixing equal parts Fuschia Fatale and Flamingo Pink together create practically the exact same Magenta shade as the L'Oreal dye. In fact, it comes out a bit pinker, so I think the combination is nicer :) I leave this dye in for at least an hour before washing it out. BEWARE, THIS DYE WILL STAIN YOUR TUB!!! Be sure to rinse it off really well. I've tinted my tub pink several times already :P

I thought this dye would fade out pretty fast since I haven't had the most luck with hair products from Hot Topic, but it actually lasts relatively long. It claims 3-6 weeks, and I'd give it a good 3 before it starts looking a bit dull. Using this dye between touchups with the L'Oreal dye also worked really well for me because it counteracted the lightening effect of the L'Oreal dye and darkened my hair instead. For info on demi-permanent VS semi-permanent dye, read this article.

I'm planning to keep this hair until I run out of dye, so maybe for another month or so. Overall, it's a lot of work to maintain red hair, but if you're willing it's definitely a fun and funky color that will turn heads! :)




Magenta Hair




byod in schools byod security

No comments:

Post a Comment